[Buddha-l] Lamas and such

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Dec 3 14:06:51 MST 2009

On Dec 3, 2009, at 1:32 PM, S. A. Feite wrote:

> Lopez points out an interesting phenomenon re: "Lamaism": the pairing
> of Tibetan Buddhism with Roman Catholicism. Early commentators went
> to considerable lengths to compare the two.

The Jehovah's Witnesses still do this, with an interesting difference.
Tibetan Buddhism has come to represent all of Buddhism, so all
Buddhists are, in the eyes of our earnest JW friends, worshipers of
the Buddhist Pope, the Dalai Lama. This is about as accurate as the
claim that Quakers worship foxes.

Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy
University of New Mexico