[Buddha-l] buddha-l gathering

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Wed Dec 2 15:39:28 MST 2009

On Dec 1, 2009, at 6:12 PM, Joanna Kirkpatrick wrote:

> I find it just utterly boring.

De gustibus non est disputandum. That notwithstanding, I am glad
to see that you rejoice that there are people who have interests
in things that do not interest others and that there are still
some (albeit increasingly fewer---or is the proper expression
decreasingly
more?) universities that support research into areas that most
people find utterly boring.

Richard
================

However, you ignore my main point, which was that the Kalila wa
Dimna and one of its ancient sources, the Panchatantra, are both
more interesting material (to me--I did not refer to the interest
of the "others" you mention) than the Christianised Buddha story;
and provided reasons.
I obviously should have added, for those unaware of this
well-known fact, that both it and the Panchatantra have undergone
decades of research on the migration of stories through various
traditions, although perhaps leaving a tinier paper trail.

Jehosasvaha!

JK