[Buddha-l] Ajahn Buddhadasa on rebirth and death

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Sat Aug 29 16:32:12 MDT 2009

JKirkpatrick schreef:
> Every now and then I re-read Buddhadasa for renewed inspiration
and
> insight, to the best of my ability to practice what he says.
> His distinguishing between people language and dhamma language
makes a
> lot of sense. Joanna ================== Ajahn Buddhadasa on
rebirth:
> http://www.wfb-hq.org/bud21b.htm

The  psychological interpretation is great, but the phantasy
about Adam and Eva is to fancyfull. Why muddle in the area of the
competition?

erik
If you visit the site, his topic is "No Religion". In these
essays he tries to be a bit comparative, and thus selects some
Christian ideas/texts. In the last essays in this set, he refers
to his audience as a small informal group (and to his words as
not officially a sermon). The group might have been composed of
some Christians as well as some Buddhists. The Christian texts he
quotes from he reads as saying the same thing that he is saying,
and he ends up seeming to claim that deep readings in any of the
religions are dhamma (not people) language.  I can only guess why
he took on a few Christian texts for comparison--one of his
points being that Christian theologians he consulted didn't
understand some of the verses he cited, as well nor do a lot of
Buddhists understand their texts, either. Otherwise, I can't say
why he took on some of the Christian ideas. I found it kind of
interesting, since I could never make sense of a lot from St
Paul, for ex.

Joanna