[Buddha-l] Sayonara

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Fri Aug 21 03:59:37 MDT 2009

Jayarava <jayarava at yahoo.com> writes

>I'm unsure why we spend our time on 1000 year old arguments that can't
>be settled, or why any idea less than a 1000 years old provokes such
>emotional responses. It's like Buddhism is a mummy, and Buddha-L is a
>tomb. Any innovation is sacrilege, any new idea heresy - there are too
>many 'no go' areas for Buddha-L which can make it just as unpleasant as
>E-Sangha at times; or perhaps I *am* simply mentally deranged and/or an
>idiot as several of you like to maintain?

To me, the point of discussion and debate on this forum is not to settle
arguments, but to settle minds. If one puts forward views intending them
to be accepted and/or adopted, one's mind will never settle.  Being able
to see from many perspectives while not attaching to them does, I think,
settle the mind while not settling any arguments. Should someone have an
entrenched view - whether progressive or traditional - they will not get
much support here. Paradoxically, such lack of support could be the best
support of all.

--
Metta
Mike Austin