[Buddha-l] Setting your e-mail to play nicely with buddha-l

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Aug 20 13:14:58 MDT 2009

On Aug 20, 2009, at 11:36 AM, jkirk wrote:

> Pleeeeeeeze, for the nth time: reference to who wrote this post
> on Davidson's lab goes to Steve Feite, not to me.

There are measures you could take to avoid misattributions. First,
stay away from Dan Lusthaus. Second, get into the habit of trimming
out the messages to which you are reponding, rather than keeping the
message intact in its entirety. Third, set you e-mail client to that
it treats quoted messages in a special way; the convention most often
used is to have your e-mail software insert a great-than sign (">") at
the beginning of every quoted line. Finally, if you would like people
to refer to your name rather than your e-mail address, tell your email
software what your name is, so that people who are reading messages
like mine will see "On Aug 20, 2009, at 11:36 AM, Joanna Kirkpatrick
wrote:" rather than "On Aug 20, 2009, at 11:36 AM, jkirk wrote:" Most
people use a formula for what is written at the top of a message to
which they are responding, and the usual formula is to take the name
of that person, and, if no name is available, then most e-mail
software takes the part of the e-mail address to the left of the "@"
as a substitute for a name.

Oh, and one other little courtesy to cultivate on an e-mail forum is
to make sure the subject line names the subject of what one is
responding to, not the Volume number of the daily digest in which the
message is contained. (This is directed at those of you who receive
all the day's messages in one horrendous furball rather than receiving
all the individual messages.)

While we're giving gratuitous advice, consider training your e-mail
software to send out plain text (aka ASCII) messages without HTML (aka
Rich Text) formatting commands when sending mail to buddha-l. Some e-
mail services have no way of doing this, but most do.

Retraining your e-mail software is much easier than herding the more
than 400 buddha-l cats.

rhayes