[Buddha-l] Volume 54 Issue 52

Gary Gach gary.gach at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 08:58:13 MDT 2009

Dear Rahula, Dr Herbert Benson was one of the first, i believe, to explore
the brains of meditators,
(the heresy of the "subjective"), slipping his meditators in to his office
for experiments, after hours, at night,
surreptitiously.  They were, I believe, TM (Transcendental Meditators),
whose brains — as later studies
would reveal — have certain different responses than Buddhists, in some
ways.  (My question is when will  cognitive scientists study the heart —
literally.  The discoveries of, say, HeartMath, warrant attention, yet
to leave the skull would seem their new heresy, as one Buddhist cognitive
scientist confessed to me.)  Your question is well-taken : so when will
they chart the brainwaves of supreme Masons, cleared Scientologists, etc?

Elsewhere on Buddha-L, Thich Nhat Hanh was mentioned, briefly.  If it would
be helpful, for future reference, I might state that I am, indeed, a
disciple, having received transmission from him as my root teacher.  And
"ordination" is the word used in conjunction with the Sangha's invitation to
me to join the inner order (the Order of Interbeing, also being referred to
as the Sangha of Interbeing).

I will now resume "lurking" mode (reading, not posting) — as always, most
pleasurably
Gary Gachhttp://word.To   http://bit.ly/Ph8WE   http://bit.ly/11Uqae
http://bit.ly/AxlWK
may all beings be well