[Buddha-l] karma offset?

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Mon Aug 17 09:26:54 MDT 2009

--- On Mon, 17/8/09, Sally McAra <sallymcara at gmail.com> wrote:

> Someone thinks they can offset the harm cars cause with a few
sacred
> syllables....

Nice one. It is of course completely consistent with their world
view to accept that the mantra will offset any harm. That is what
the sacred scriptures reveal.

"Just touching and turning a prayer wheel brings incredible
purification and accumulates unbelievable merit" Lama Zopa.

I think he has his adjectives about right: incredible - not
credible; unbelievable - not believable.

We're doomed.
Jayarava
============
Lama Zopa is the same guy who instigated the Maitreya Project in
Kushinagar, India--where he wants to erect a gigantic golden
seated Buddha image, and where the land transfers associated with
this ambitious program -- according to Jessica Falcone's
respondents there--- continue to be resisted by the majority of
the small farmers and land rights NGOs in the area (contrary to
what the MP says on their website). Jessica, who's at Cornell
working on her doctorate, sent me the details. It's a long report
so I haven't posted it. If anybody wants to see it, I'll be happy
to oblige.

Joanna