[Buddha-l] The state of buddha-l: a brief report

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Aug 17 09:26:11 MDT 2009

On Aug 17, 2009, at 6:54 AM, Alberto Todeschini wrote:

> Erm... your remark leads me to wonder if I am planning to--or am
> allowed
> to-- present my dissertation in electronic form. I guess I should find
> out....

That is worth looking into. What it may achieve is nothing more than
shifting the burden of printing and photocopying off your shoulders
onto the shoulders of your examination committee. Few people I know
(Jay Garfield being the only exception I can think of) can read long
works on a computer screen. (Even Jay Garfield doesn't like reading
from a computer screen, but he reads lots of things on his kindle). So
your examining committee will probably end up printing your
dissertation anyway, thus saving no paper at all. (Something to
consider: it is not always wise to piss off the members of one's
examination committee, and they might be pissed off if they had to
print out a thesis themselves.)

> Unfortunately, while Google Books is already extremely useful (I use
> it
> daily), it's still missing a large amount of material relevant to
> scholars of Buddhism.

My principal worry about material being available in electronic form
is that people will eventually get out of the habit of using books and
journals that haven't yet been made available in digital form,
resulting in a lot of excellent scholarship being doomed to scholarly
oblivion. That may sound improbable and futuristic, but just in the
past two years I have received an increasing number of essays from
students that have nothing but websites in the bibliography. This past
year, to my horror, I received a senior thesis for an honors B.A.
student that did not have a single printed work in the bibliography.
Every reference was to a website. The thesis itself was printed on
paper. Try to imagine what a pain it was to check out some of the
references. Well, OK, it was no worse than the old days when I had to
take a bus to the library and spend several hours in the stacks to
check out references.

On the issue of footnotes and in-line references, my thesis supervisor
(B.K. Matital) was really keen on in-line references, and he also said
anything worth saying is worth saying in the main body of a work. With
his urging, I submitted a PhD thesis that did not have a single
footnote. Several of the people on my examination committee remarked
that a thesis without footnotes or endnotes just does not look like a
work of scholarship. One member admitted that when he first received a
copy and looked in vain for the endnotes, he almost decided to flunk
the thesis without bothering to reading it (not an unprecedented event
in my department). When I eventually turned the thesis into a book, I
furnished it with plenty of irritating endnotes, hoping someone might
read it. But the price of the book was so high that no one has ever
read it anyway. Tant pis.

Richard