[Buddha-l] The state of buddha-l: a brief report

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun Aug 16 10:15:39 MDT 2009

On Aug 15, 2009, at 9:10 PM, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> What I was
> suggesting was that the pillorying of an out of context message for
> being
> out of context would have to have been done by someone who thought the
> readership was sufficiently philistine to be fooled by that ploy.

What an interesting suggestion. What I would have suggested is that
the pillorying of an out-of-context message for being out of context
would have been done by someone who thought the readership was
sufficiently sophisticated that they would immediately detect the
irony and perhaps even be amused by it.