[Buddha-l] bad karma causes illness?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun Aug 16 10:10:48 MDT 2009

On Aug 15, 2009, at 9:09 PM, Weng-Fai Wong wrote:

> Hey, I was right after all! Eating hamburgers (your own deliberate
> karmic action) causes stupidity!
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1206448/Junk-food-dummies-How-bingeing-burgers-chips-drain-brainpower.html

The Canadian radio program "Quirks and Quarks," which reports on
science news, had a program a while back on a study showing that human
beings have their most vivid memories around events in which fat was
involved. The working hypothesis is that as human beings were evolving
there were many periods of food scarcity, and during times of scarcity
survival depends on stored fat. Moreover, when food is in very short
supply, the best way to store fat is to eat it (rather than using the
American method of eating huge amounts of concentrated carbohydrates
and letting them turn to fat). So, the hypothesis goes, the senses are
particularly heightened when fat is available, and the memory of such
events is more vivid.

The same study also suggested that fat may play a role in enhancing
memory in general. The study that Weng-Fai cites suggests just the
opposite. My goodness, what is a niścaya junkie to do in the face of
conflicting hypotheses? Well, I suggest we here on buddha-l apply for
a grant to do an empirical study. We'll need some travel money to go
to Tushita Heaven to study chubby Maitreya, and a time machine to go
back and visit Gautama when he at so little that he could touch his
spine by putting his finger on his belly, and we'll give them a
battery of tests to see which buddha's brain performs better.

always thinking scientifically,
Richard