[Buddha-l] Health care plans, as envisionsed by Buddhists (Was, Fsat Mnifdlunses?)

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sat Aug 15 08:35:08 MDT 2009

Thus have I heard (on NPR I think it was) that House Rep. Dennis
Kucinich introduced an amendment to the current pending bill,
over which much hysteria and brutaloid reaction is happening,
paid for for course by your testosterone superiors like the
insurance and hate talk show industries, that would make Single
Payer an option for individual states; 12 states already support
the idea.
In the current climate of temporizing with the loud but lame
opposition (why I have no idea--makes no sense at all), however,
I wonder how long this amendment will survive.

Joanna

On Aug 14, 2009, at 9:15 PM, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> As for the Canadian Health
> care system, some of what I am hearing from Canadian colleagues
and
> friends who are getting to that age when health care really
matters do
> not make me envious.

You'll be wanting to get a copy of the Canadian news weekly
magazine MacLeans. A recent issue features an editorial by some
troglodyte who claims that Canadian health care systems are
responsible for a culture of mediocrity. He claims that only free
enterprise gives men the testosterone they need to do anything
worthwhile. Boy, is that ever true, eh? Ever seen any mediocrity
in America? No, eh? So I guess the guy at MacLeans was right, eh?
Lots of people from Alberta think the way he does. But then lots
of people from Alberta think Sarah Palin is the smartest
politician to come on the scene since Warren G. Harding (who,
according to some historians, was America's first black
president).

As for your Canadian colleagues and friends (of which I'm sure
you have several thousand, enough to do a careful scientific
random-sample polling of the sort that would provide you with
what you would regard as a fact), ask them which province they
live in. Each province has a different health-care plan. I think
the best by far is the one in Québec, but even the worst of them
(Alberta's, I think) puts the American system to shame. But don't
worry. There is no danger that you'll ever live to see a
reasonable health-care policy in the United States, so I hope
there is a good moxibustion therapist in your neighborhood. As
for me, I'll make do with good Mexican curanderismo fortified by
some Navajo sings.

Richard