[Buddha-l] bad karma causes illness?

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Fri Aug 14 10:04:36 MDT 2009

I just came across an interesting bit on the IIAS website, where
newly appointed Fellow, Indologist Dominik Wujastyk, will be
working on the Rogārogavāda of Vīreśvara,  a Sanskrit polemical
work on traditional Indian medicine (āyurveda), written in 1669.
http://www.iias.nl/?q=wujastyk-dominik

Dominik writes,
"In this relatively concise work, he systematically takes the
principal theories of pathology in classical medicine, and
refutes them one by one. He attacks the classical theories of
humoral imbalance, diseases caused by bad karma, accidents,
secondary diseases, hereditary diseases, birth defects,
contagion, and corruptions of the humours and the body tissues.
His final view seems to be that disease and illness are random,
acausal events."

Sort of does-in karma theory, so far as illness is concerned. But
it also suggests a precursor of random or acausal explanations:
lack of scientific (observable) evidence.
If the Buddha had known about this one, I think he'd have
approved. Looking forward to the translation.

Joanna