[Buddha-l] Fsat Mnifdlunses?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Aug 13 09:45:24 MDT 2009

On Aug 13, 2009, at 1:41 AM, andy wrote:

> What does
> interest me,  and it is only a mild interest, please note, is why
> the equation
> of Yogacara with Western idealism is such an issue.

Dan will no doubt give his own characteristically abusive and
dismissive reply to this query, but the sense I get is that the
tendency to equate Yogācāra with idealism stems from the fact that
pretty much all Indian who criticized the Yogācāra writers depicted
them as people who denied the reality of the external world. Oddly
enough, we do find some philosophers, often labelled Yogācāra by
others (whether they would have put that label on themselves) who put
forth arguments intended to convince their readers that there cannot
be an external material world. Dharmakīrti comes to mind, but it
doesn't really matter. Moreover, Dharmakīrti wrote a treatise designed
to refute the charge that he must be a solipsist---a charge, as you
know, routinely leveled at those who deny the reality of the material
world. The force of this treatise of Dharmakīrti's is to show that one
can deny the physical world without having to deny that there are
other minds. Minds, he says, can communicate directly without having
to use bodies to make sounds and ears to hear them. But if two minds
are caught up in the same delusion about there being an external
world, then they will both think they are using physical bodies. That
sounds a bit like idealism to me.

Given that there were many people who were eventually given the
Yogācāra label (or the Yogācāra-Madhyamaka label), it would be
pretty amazing if they all held the same views, even on fairly
important ontological issues. (After all, how many people labeled
"Postmodern" even understand each other, let alone agree?) Perhaps we
should take a page from Rorty's book and modify his famous quip to our
issue by saying "Yogācāra is just a word in search of a referent."

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy