[Buddha-l] Fsat Mnifdlunses?

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Wed Aug 12 16:01:55 MDT 2009

Dan Lusthaus <vasubandhu at earthlink.net> writes

"You are echoing the kantian and post-kantian impasse -- no way to reach
the noumenal, except in phenomenal approximations. The noumenal is
supposed to be forever out of reach."

I know nothing of philosophy or philosophers. I am way out of my depth.

"That's vedanta, not Yogacara. For Yogacara, eliminating apprehension of
an object consequently eliminates apprehension of a subject, No "unity,"
monism, pantheistic self-hugging, or other displays of cosmic
narcissism."

I picked the wrong word with 'unity' because I was trying to avoid
'non-separateness' because it sounded too clumsy. Using a negative is an
easy way to avoid asserting anything. 'Unity' is an awkward word also.
It has no meaning for a single entity because there is nothing to unite.
And it has no meaning for multiple entities because multiple nature is
excluded by it. So we are probably best served by 'non-separateness'.
Indeed, you seem to be saying that apprehension is the separating agent:

"By the apprehending of citta-mtra, there is the nonapprehension of
cognized artha. By nonapprehending cognized artha, citta also is
nonapprehended."

"Getting better all the ti-ime..."

I get the impression that philosophy is a return ticket. One comes back
to the same place having passed through some enthralling verbal scenery.

I was a poet and I didn't noet.

--
Metta
Mike Austin