[Buddha-l] The Toulmiin link [Prebyters}

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue Aug 11 10:26:52 MDT 2009

Nothing like a pedant manque :(  --yes of course, the half word is ardha not adha even in Hindi.
Joanna
=============

On Aug 11, 2009, at 8:54 AM, Joanna Kirkpatrick wrote:

"Adhi" means "superior" or "higher." And the Sanskrit word for "half"
is "ardha." Those Hindu speakers can't seem to get anything right.
Hindi must be some kind of ardhasaṃskṛta. I would avoid it if I were you.

> But then the usual hilarity
> relieves us of our pedantic tendencies, which is probably a good
> thing.

Unlike most subscribers to buddha-l, I don't have any pedantic tendencies whatsoever. Every time I say something serious, people seem to think I'm trying to be hilarious. It's most disconcerting, even to an honorary nanny goat.

Ardhamati