[Buddha-l] The Toulmiin link [Prebyters}

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Aug 10 21:31:24 MDT 2009

On Aug 10, 2009, at 3:46 PM, jkirk wrote:

> Continuing, this typo "So other adhidharma experts.."
> serendipitously suggests that adhidharma is the mode on Buddha-L.

In the standard glosses on the etymologically puzzling word
"abhidharma," one often sees "adhidharma," which could be translated
as something like "higher teachings." My favorite pun on this was made
by Ajahn Chah, who said that "abhidhamma" means the same as
"adhidhamma," and "adhidhamma" means the same as "atidhamma," which in
English means "too much dhamma."

Atirichard