[Buddha-l] The Slow Movement (Thich Nhat Hanh)

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Aug 10 14:37:47 MDT 2009

On Aug 10, 2009, at 1:30 PM, Jim Peavler wrote:

> I am quite fond of Thich Nhat Hanh, and have really enjoyed many of
> his books.
> I have learned from him.

I confess to harboring the same sentiments. Thich Nhat Hanh is
probably the most inspiring person I have ever seen in person. But
he's clearly not to everyone's taste. A good friend of mine in the
FWBO says that Nhat Hanh leaves him feeling slightly nauseated, as one
feels after eating too large a helping of a cloyingly sweet dessert.
Apparently too much purity all at once makes some people gag. These
are the folks who like to do prostrations in front of ferocious dharma
protectors whose fangs drip blood onto the garland of skulls they wear
as their feet crush the faces of supine dwarves.

Richard