[Buddha-l] Gradual dimming of the light

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Mon Aug 10 13:27:27 MDT 2009

On Aug 9, 2009, at 9:52 PM, Richard Hayes wrote:

> If Buddhism is done quickly, it's not Buddhism at all. For a couple of
> decades now I've been meaning to denounce the doctrine of sudden
> enlightenment. The very idea is a total crock. But I reckon the world
> can wait for yet another pointless denunciation.

A story I once heard (someone better educated than I might verify or
reject this) told of Renzai, when asked if he believed in sudden
enlightenment, replied that for 40 years he had studied the sutras,
and tended the gardens, when suddenly he was enlightened. He was
opposed to the school that taught that one shouldn't bother studying
the sutras or working, but should just sit and meditate until the
miracle happened.

Probably both methods are equally true. I will probably never know. I
have only been on Buddha-l for about 20 years. And I am getting
stupider and stupider. Gradually, of course.

Jim Peavler
jmp at peavler.org