[Buddha-l] The Toulmiin link and sharing the joke

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 6 12:10:49 MDT 2009

> Rebellious non-conformist that I try without success to be, I much
> prefer the search engine at http://ixquick.com/ to Dr Google. Ixquick
> doesn't save data on people doing searches,

Richard, that's a false sense of security. In fact, whatever browser you
use, google is keeping track. Go into whatever folder/directory houses your
cookies, and look for one named

safebrowsing.clients.google.com

EVERYTIME you visit a site, google "checks it out" for you (and makes
notation). Firefox has been embedding the "safebrowsing" gizmo since version
2.something or other (initially you could toggle it off, but no longer).

As you get to site, a bunch of messages go back and forth between you,
google and the site. An example:

POST
/safebrowsing/downloads?client=navclient-auto-ffox&appver=3.5.2&pver=2.2&wrkey=AKEgNisunbhr56yS76SiCF8YILHpFJLrO-TPcUcVU2qQU5TAwvuHcSlcdQpjc99zQRu5R99FDCxPfMpLcBvWhFHm8i3rbMqF3g==
HTTP/1.1

Why this "service" is dubbed 'safebrowsing' is because google, like a number
of suspect computer companies (one that spells its name M$ comes to mind),
by pretending to offer you something you may like, they can, behind your
back, swipe tons of stuff that most likely you'll never miss, and because
you're getting something, you'll be smiling as you're robbed, maybe even
grateful.

What are they giving you? The keep a running list of dangerous websites, and
on the rare occasion that your browser may actually be trying to load one of
them, google will send (probably hiding behind your browser's ID) a message
saying this is a dangerous site, stay away, there are cooties and spiders
there, and they may damage your machine. For that once-annual event (if that
often), they keep tabs on every site you visit.

So unless you find the results from ixquick superior to a google search, or
just want to make a protest statement, you may as well do your searching on
google. Google's keeping track regardless.

Dan