[Buddha-l] Prominent Neobuddhist proposes religion based blacklisting for government jobs

Margaret Gouin gouin.me at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 02:49:45 MDT 2009

2009/8/4 Richard Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu>

> I agree. When I first started studying Buddhist logic about thirty-
> five years ago, I approached it through the only theoretical framework
> I knew, which was formal mathematical logic and set theory. While that
> framework can be a little helpful in some places, it also gave me a
> number of expectations that were not fulfilled. I turned to ancient
> and medieval logic, and again they were helpful in limited ways but
> obstacles in others. A turning point for me was reading some of
> Stephen Toulmin's work, especially his observation that a better
> paradigm than mathematics for everyday logic is jurisprudence. That
> made a great deal of sense as an avenue for approaching Indian logic
> and debate, since much of the terminology there comes from the field
> of law.

Thank you for this interesting lead, Richard. I Googled Stephen
Toulmin--sorry, there *are* no libraries where I am, Google is my default
starting point--and his work looks very stimulating. The nearest available
library--on Malta, four hours there and back--has his *Philosophy of Science
*, *Foresight and Understanding*, and *Cosmopolis*. Could you suggest which
one I might start with? Or another of his works?

Many thanks,

Margaret