[Buddha-l] Schopen gets a kicking

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Aug 4 10:03:55 MDT 2009

On Aug 4, 2009, at 7:52 AM, Curt Steinmetz wrote:

> To someone unfamiliar with academic buddhology I could see how the
> UCLA
> Today puff piece on Schopen's lecture could cause the kind of reaction
> that she had.

How right you are. This tempest in a teapot combined several
conditions that prevail in American culture these days: sloppy
journalism, anti-intellectualism, and religious zealotry.

> But she really should have at least googled the guy's name
> or something before going off.

Ah yes, and let us not forget that the Google algorithm has all but
completely replaced the use of libraries and the books and journals
they contain.

I'm going to go now to the university library for a good sulk.

Richard