[Buddha-l] Schopen gets a kicking

Jayarava jayarava at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 4 07:21:23 MDT 2009

--- On Tue, 4/8/09, Curt Steinmetz <curt at cola.iges.org> wrote:

> "I hope the brownshirts admirers of Professor Schopen are
> happy now."
>
> Curt

Yes the article has been removed. I'm not sure about the self-serving and petulant tone of the new thing, but it is an improvement over slandering Prof Schopen. Blogger's honour my arse!

To be fair it sounds like she got a lot of hate mail about the article, and her own head-priest told her she was an idiot. Quite a lot of punishment for a misdemeanour.

I know only too well the pain of saying something stupid about someone in a public forum and having it come back to bite me (!), but it surprises me that she hasn't clocked that the thing to do is take responsibility for it, make a public apology, and right the wrong. Then move on. It's humiliating, but it's much simpler and is character building.

Anyway. Moving on... I think it's been too long since we had real brown shirts. The comparison seems to have become glib and meaningless. Any little thing that imposes on our own will is characterised alongside the fascists taking over Europe! I may be an expat, but I'm hardly an invasion force am I? I spent part of the morning reading an article in The Observer about the collapse of communism/totalitarianism in Europe in 1989 - what short memories we have. I wonder if some people lack sufficient appreciation of just how free they are to gripe and complain and publish nit-picky blog posts. It's quite a luxury in historical terms. You can dish out abuse, and only get abuse back - not imprisonment, or torture, or murder. How cool is that?

Banzai \o/
Jayarava