[Buddha-l] Schopen gets a kicking

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Aug 3 19:16:51 MDT 2009

On Aug 3, 2009, at 6:18 PM, Joanna Kirkpatrick wrote:

> Alas--"Sorry, comments are closed for this item."

The item, however, still remains on line. It's just that no one can
respond to it. I spent quite a bit of time writing an
uncharacteristically carefully-worded and even somewhat polite comment
before being told as I tried to send it that comments are closed for
that item.

It may still be worth lodging a complaint with About.com about
Barbara's violation of Buddhsit speech precepts. The folks who run
about.com have not had a very good track record in finding someone
responsible to represent Buddhism on that site. Barbara O'Brien
describes herself as a former mainline Protestant Christian with a
B.A. in journalism who has turned to Zen practice. I betcha Curt,
given as he is to ad hominem arguments, would think she might be
unqualified to assess the merits of an academic article on Buddhism
written by a scholar who has more publications than an Arkansas hound
dog has fleas. On the other hand, he might commend her for labeling
(or is that libeling?) Professor Schopen as a crackpot with views that
are clearly hallucinatory. And I'm sure we would all admire the
entertainment value of seeing several commentators to her blog post
decrying all academics as narcissistic egomaniacs who, because of that
unfortunate condition, cannot possibly say anything insightful about
Buddhism.

I sort of wish about.com would just give up trying to include Buddhism
on the site. It is a commercial site that pays its way by "smart" ads.
The few times I have gone to it, I have been treated to advertisements
for Buddhist ring tones (I don't even know what the heck a ring tone
is!), and scientific diet drinks that will help fat people shrink
their bellies (There must be an algorithm for putting ads for diet
aids on websites that mention Maitreya), and designer yoga pants (to
out on after slimming down that fat belly while intoning a Buddhist
ring). As an index of the current state of American culture,
buddhism.about.com is right up there with the round-the-clock
interviews of Michael Jackson's cook and his chauffeur's former
veterinarian on prime time tellybision.

Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy
University of New Mexico