[Buddha-l] Prominent Neobuddhist proposes religion based blacklisting for government jobs

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Sat Aug 1 19:27:18 MDT 2009

Richard Hayes wrote:
> As I understand
> what I have read, Harris was not at all questioning whether Collins is
> a competent scientist. Rather, he was asking whether a person who has
> strong religious convictions can be counted on to apply his scientific
> credentials consistently. If a scientist is capable of keeping her
> religious convictions completely private and does not let her
> essentially untestable religious dogmas mix in with testable
> scientific hypotheses while she is doing science, then there is
> nothing to worry about. But if a scientist, and especially one in a
> position to make public policy, cannot keep non-scientific
> considerations out of her discussions of science, then she is
> incompetent. One need not be a scientist to know that.

You are dead wrong here, Richard ("dead" as in "dead to rights", "dead
on", "dead center"....).

First of all, only someone with substantial scientific training can
judge the competency of a scientist.

Scientists judging the competency of other scientists is a standard part
of how science is done - it is called "peer review". Has Sam Harris ever
reviewed a journal article, or a grant application? The question itself
is ridiculous - no one would ever suggest that this graduate student is
competent to do any such thing.  And yet you, Richard, are proposing
that Harris is competent to judge someone who will be several echelons
up the ladder from the people who review grants that are submitted to NIH.

Maybe Sam Harris should first write a proposal that is actually funded
by the NIH, and then write several more, and then maybe after several
years of that he might get to be a reviewer himself .... and then after
10 or 20 or 30 years of that he might have the credentials to have an
opinion concerning the competency of someone like Francis Collins.

Second of all, Collins has a track record both as a researcher and as an
administrator. Speculating about how his judgment might be impaired is
malarkey. Where has he ever once shown any sign of poor judgment in
either his scientific work or in his various leadership and
administrative roles? In fact, if Collins had shown such signs of poor
judgment then his RELIGION wouldn't matter, would it? How is that not
obvious?

Sam Harris makes explicit reference to Collins' religious beliefs in
every single paragraph - go back and read it. This is purely about
Collins' religion. Of that there can be no doubt. And we simply do not
penalize people for their religious beliefs in this country - of that
there should be no doubt, but unfortunately that appears not to be the
case (cue patriotic background music).

Curt Steinmetz