[Buddha-l] Prominent Neobuddhist proposes religion basedblacklisting for government jobs

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Aug 1 15:50:57 MDT 2009

On Jul 31, 2009, at 5:20 PM, Katherine Masis wrote:

> I see Richard used an ad hominem against his own dad by saying he's
> unqualified to talk about religion because he's a geologist.

I'm glad somebody spotted that one. It's a variety of argumentum ad
hominem known as the in bucca lingua. It is used mostly by a kind of
logician known as a bucco.

> I vote we all give ourselves permission to use occasional ad
> hominems on this list as long as they are timely and appropriate,
> and we sincerely acknowledge we are using them.

That's just the sort of thing one would expect a psychologist to say.

Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy
University of New Mexico
http://www.unm.edu/~rhayes