[Buddha-l] Prominent Neobuddhist proposes religionbasedblacklisting for government jobs

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sat Aug 1 08:18:18 MDT 2009

Thing is, ad hominems are par for the course on Buddha-hell, so
why change it?--makes for a list livelier than a few others I
could name but won't.
You have my vote in favor :)

Cheers, Joanna
=======================

Ad hominems, yes.  We all use them from time to time, in all
sorts of contexts.  I see Richard used an ad hominem against his
own dad by saying he's unqualified to talk about religion because
he's a geologist.  My own dad was an architect who talked
politics day and night.  It was a bit annoying, but he was
qualified nonetheless.  I agree with Franz Metcalf--sometimes ad
hominems are okay.  I vote we all give ourselves permission to
use occasional ad hominems on this list as long as they are
timely and appropriate, and we sincerely acknowledge we are using
them.  I'm sure Irving Copi would understand.

Katherine Masis