[Buddha-l] Cmabodian memory

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 9 00:48:35 MDT 2009

I recently mentioned the Khmer Rouge and the impact of its aftermath on
Cambodian society. Today an article appearing in the NYTimes provides a new
wrinkle. The younger generation is largely ignorant of what happened, and
disbelieve their grandparents' accounts, or simply don't want to know about
it.

{quote}
"Some older people get so upset at their children for not believing that
they say, 'I wish the Khmer Rouge time would happen again; then you'd
believe it,' " Mr. Ty Leap said.
{unquote}

Very curious social-psychological processes at play here.

"As much as 70 percent of Cambodia's population is under the age of 30, and
four out of five members of this young generation know little or nothing
about the Khmer Rouge years, according to a survey last fall by the Human
Rights Center at the University of California, Berkeley."

more details at

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/08/world/asia/08cambo.htm

Is this practicing compassion or avidya?

Dan