[Buddha-l] monks, meditation and trauma

Jayarava jayarava at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 5 00:49:00 MDT 2009

Hi Laura

Have a look through the therīgāthā - published in translation as "Poems of the Early Buddhist Nuns". Some of them suffered traumas and then went on to become Arahants - I seem to recall some of the nuns who recovered from madness. Sorry not to be able to provide references - it's been a while since I read this.

There are several examples of 'possession by mara' in which a meditating bhikkhu overcomes this 'invasion'. See especially the Mārasaṃyutta in the Saṃyutta Nīkāya (pg 195ff in Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation). Possession is clearly distinguished from madness, and more resembles something like an intrusion of something other (memory?) into the consciousness that might be like a flashback. The approach seems to be to get into dialogue with the 'other' - very Jungian.

Have you seen "Buddhism and the Mythology of Evil" by Trevor Ling. That might give you some clues as well. Treat the memory as a visit from Mara.

Best of luck
Jayarava