[Buddha-l] Faith-based initiatives - phase 2

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Sep 25 19:07:34 MDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 14:54 -0600, jkirk wrote:

> Just shows to go that religion is, au fond, divisive and
> combative.............nai?

Some approaches to life seem to be founded on ideas that turn out to be
divisive. Others seem to be founded on a strong wish to heal divisions.
Division, being more destructive, and destruction, being better at
demanding our attention than harmony, captures the attention of more
consumers of news media and board games. A suicide bomber or a serial
killer makes the news. A tree growing quietly in a garden does not.

These days I spend quite a bit of time watching trees grow in my garden
and very little time watching the news. I confess this with apologies to
those who would like to make me spend more money.

--
Richard