[Buddha-l] demise in asia

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Sep 3 17:14:16 MDT 2008

Dear Piya--
Well your reply was to what I wrote, not to what Jayarava
wrote--at least you left in your message (below) what I, not
Jayarava, wrote.

So I'm confused as to whom you meant to reply---but in any case,
happy that your sutta classes are going gangbusters :)  I can
really sympathise with what SG Buddhists are going through today.
It resembles what thoughtful non-Christian people are going
through here in the US, what with the onslaught of Republican
evangelical righteousness at every media turn. What with
political candidates having to routinely state their religious
preferences and church membership, how devoted to Jesus they are
etc. Yuk again.
The commercialization of piety has gone bonkers here, thanks to
the pressure from evangelicals who are perceived by politicians
(and their promo hacks) as independents or "swing voters."

May I respectfully suggest that one of the problems with
maintaining and growing Buddhism in today's globalistic
environment might be the traditional accent on what brings
merit-- donating to temples and monasteries and leaving public
education up to them.
Since the FWBO isn't a monastic order along the lines of the
tradition, strikes me that they have a chance (if they can raise
the necessary money) to make a big imprint on the missionary goal
of the Buddha dharma that traditional Theravadan monastic
institutions cannot seem to accomplish.
(The Tibetans seem to be having a lot of success in the USA
today. They are good at raising money and spreading their
message, too.)

So Jayarava, what is the FWBO doing to spread the Buddha dharma
these days in the west?

Best wishes,
Joanna