[Buddha-l] Apology and withdrawl.

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Sat Oct 25 19:47:31 MDT 2008

On Oct 25, 2008, at 3:27 PM, Jayarava wrote:

> It has been pointed out to me that my comments on Buddha-L regarding
> Deshpande's book and my teacher reflect poorly on both them, and on
> me. My remarks were flippant and poorly thought out. Handouts from
> Coulson were given because most people have yet to obtain a copy of
> the book which has sold out locally, so can hardly be said to
> reflect on the text.

You are being very hard on yourself. I hope that being flip on buddha-
l (which is, of course, exceedingly rare) can not possibly endanger
your studies or your future at any institution that pretends to
professionalism and fairness.

Buddha-l was setup to be a safe haven for academics to discuss
dangerous ideas and to be silly and flippant (usually safely out of
site of their college administrators).  I believe you have used buddha-
l in the manner for which it was intended. I am certain your apology,
while unnecessary, will be accepted by all the silly and flippant
professors in our little club.

Good luck in your studies and may you enjoy as lucrative and ennobling
a career as is ordinarily vouchsafed a professor of exotic studies.

Jim Peavler
jmp at peavler.org