[Buddha-l] [Fwd: PEACE Quote]

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Oct 22 17:53:48 MDT 2008

Things the Buddha should have said:

1. "If we had had more time for discussion we should probably have made
a great many more mistakes."

2. "Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung."

3. "As soon as you smell Rome you will forget all that you have said."

4. "In the long run, we're all dead."

5. "Technique is noticed most markedly in the case of those who have not
mastered it."

6. "A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers."

7. "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."

8. "He was a great patriot, a humanitarian, a loyal friend; provided, of
course, he really is dead."

9. "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering,
fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. "

10. "It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence,
we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream."

11. "A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears."

12. "Confidence in others' honesty is no light testimony of one's own
integrity. "

13. "Virtue rejects facility to be her companion. She requires a craggy,
rough and thorny way."

14. "Theorists are not at a loss to explain. But they differ."

15. "If only hunger could be so easily satisfied - by merely rubbing
one's stomach." [in reference to masturbation]

16. "I threw my cup away when I saw a child drinking from his hands at
the trough."

17. "What I like to drink most is wine that belongs to others."

18. "At twilight, nature is not without loveliness, though perhaps its
chief use is to illustrate quotations from the poets."

19. "Many are the wandbearers - but few are the true Initiates." [in
reference to the cult of Dionysos]

1 Lev Davidovich Bronstein (aka Leon Trotsky)
2 Voltaire
3 Epictetus
4 John Maynard Keynes
5 Trotsky