[Buddha-l] Thai-Cambodian war over Temple ownership

Chris castanford at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 04:27:05 MDT 2008

Dan,
I see from your text quoted below, that you have now taken it upon yourself
to tell others what (in your opinion) they should or should not do. How
presumptive of you. In my case, and I suspect in many others, please save
your energy.

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 1:47 AM, Dan Lusthaus <vasubandhu at earthlink.net>wrote:

> Instead of trying to expunge "Buddhism" from the record

What are you going on about here? Who's "trying to expunge Buddhism from
(what) record"? I certainly am not "trying to expunge" anything from any
record.
Please do not attribute to me actions that I am not a part of.

rechannel your anger.

"anger"? What "anger"? I certainly am not angry; surprised, disappointed and
perplexed, perhaps, but certainly not angry. Nobody and nothing in this
exercise would warrant my investing that level of emotion.

> If you think something else is at play in this conflict,

As I have told you, my issue is *not* with this conflict but, rather with
*your* misrepresentation of this conflict. Is that so difficult for you to
understand?

> inform us

I thought I had done this already, but apparently not so that you could
understand.
Let me try, briefly, one last time.

At the top of this thread, you presented to this forum, a story that you
characterized as being about a "war" over "ownership of a temple". I replied
by pointing out that what in fact took place was *not* a "war", and that the
dispute was over a territorial demarcation line and *not* over any temple.
Following my attempt at clarification of what you were misleadingly
reporting, you went on to talk about "Armies shooting at each other...", and
"...shooting at each other over ownership of a Buddhist temple...". Neither
of these two described events ever took place in this context either. You
continued with your false and misleading discourse. You need to educate
yourself on what constitutes an "army". A couple of dozen armed boarder
patrol troops does not constitute an 'army'. Neither does a two and a half
hour firefight by a couple of dozen armed soldiers constitute a
"war".Similarly, nobody was "shooting at each other over ownership of a
Buddhist temple". The firefight was over territorial limits. No temple here,
Dan.

In summary, Dan,
there was *no* "war",
there was *no* dispute over any "temple",
there were *no* "armies shooting at each other";
all reported as being present by you in your undisciplined and misleading
writings.
These were my issues only.

There does exist another ongoing dispute that *is* over the Phrae Viharn
temple ownership, but this latest skirmish between the boarder patrol forces
of Thailand and Cambodia was *not*, I repeat, *not* part of that
dispute.This latest firefight was over a complely seperate teritoral issue.

> trying to shoot the messenger.

Tempting, but I think not.