[Buddha-l] NYTimes Article and its Author Garfinkel

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Fri Oct 10 12:07:25 MDT 2008

Dan et al.,

Thanks, Dan, for the link to the NYTimes article <http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/10/10/travel/escapes/10buddhism.html?pagewanted=all
 >. I found it surprisingly good. The author, Perry Garfinkel, knows a
thing or two about contemporary Buddhism. In fact, the only sentence
on Buddhism that made me involuntarily frown was the one claiming
Thich Nhat Hanh founded engaged Buddhism in the 1970s. I realize that
any generalization about such a diffuse movement can both be critiqued
and defended, but I think this is giving too much credit to the good
monk, saintly though he may be.

Has anyone here read Garfinkel's book, _Buddha or Bust: In Search of
Truth, Meaning, Happiness, and the Man Who Found Them All_?

http://www.amazon.com/Buddha-Bust-Search-Meaning-Happiness/dp/140008217X

Franz