[Buddha-l] Pramana terms

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Nov 27 21:44:55 MST 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-28 at 12:15 +0800, Piya Tan wrote:

> What about the third example where "the middle is a non-perception
> from which the
> absence of the major could be inferred". Could you give me an example?

There is no elephant in my closet, because if there were, I would be
able to see it. (This illustrates the most basic form of anupalabdhi,
namely, that the failure to observe something that would be observed if
present indicates that the thing in question is absent.)

There is no feeling of cold in that heretic who is burning at the stake,
because fire is incompatible with cold. (This illustrates the principle
that if one observes something that is incompatible with another thing,
then the second thing cannot be present where the thing incompatible
with it is observed.)

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy