[Buddha-l] Sabba Sutta

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Thu Nov 27 06:55:45 MST 2008

As for me, I'm inclined to agree with Conze's assessment of the ālayavijñāna as one of the most hideous conceptual monstrosities in all of Buddhism. But what the hey, what else would a Mādhyamika say on this topic?

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy

It does seem to me that this concept, ālayavijñāna, represents the creation of yet another "thing", another name, to cover or to enable convenient talk about a whole bunch of interacting processes that the sutta writers intuited but could not observe; still they needed something to express their intuition of the invisible operations of mind-body.
Today's neuro- and cognitive-scientists are still trying to figure these out.

Joanna