[Buddha-l] Sabba Sutta

Bruce Burrill brburl at charter.net
Wed Nov 26 18:14:45 MST 2008

Again from Bill Waldron, answering the two alaya questions:

there is no single term in cognitive science that corresponds with
alaya-vijnana other than, perhaps, 'cognitive unconscious,' which is
probably about right, since in my view alaya-vijnana is not a single
process at all, but rather a categorical  term for a variety of
processes. As Asanga says, "although it continuously arises in a
stream of moments, it is not singular (ekatva)." Yogacarabhumi,
Derge, #4038 , 4a.5; T.31.1606.580a18.

Hence, it can hardly count as an entity, either. In fact, strictly
speaking, in the Buddhist view there are no entities at all. But
there are mental processes that are not conscious, some of which are
strictly individual and some of which have shared qualities or
characteristics, not unlike the fact that sugar tastes sweet to most
people, so if they all eat something sweet then their experiences
will be similar. Extrapolate this to other aspects of human
life---such as speaking a common language, having similar emotional
one's own cultural, ethnic or national group---and you end up with a
sense of common or collective awareness that is nevertheless, like
all of us eating something sweet, still based in our individual sense
faculties. I am quite certain that this is also what Jung, for
example, had in mind with his 'collective unconscious.'

That such collective illusions as nationalism or ethnic identity are
illusory does not, unfortunately, make them any less effective nor
any less pernicious. They are the illusions we all, to a greater or
lesser degree, labor under and whose broader and long-term
consequences determine much of our collective lives.

Bill Waldron