[Buddha-l] buddhism and brain studies

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Tue Nov 18 08:33:29 MST 2008

In a message dated 11/17/2008 2:18:46 P.M. Central Standard Time,
jehms at xs4all.nl writes:

You're even more sloppy than you thought. :-)  Aristotle has the  habit
of first quoting opinions of former writers and if you read more of  the
book you'll find that in the passages you refer to he quotes Solon and
later rejects this view, because happines is not a conclusiuon but
something you do.
==
I suggest we both reread those passages. I believe I am right. He does  quote
Solon but the sentences I quoted in an earlier post (see below) stand  alone
from his reaction to Solon.

Jack

>>On Happiness by Aristotle, Book 1. Here are some  quotes. "We are unwilling
to call the living happy because changes may  befall them and because we
believe that happiness haws permanence and is not  amenable to change under any
circumstances." "For it seems that to some extent  good and evil really exist
for a dead man, just as they may exist for a man  who lives without being
conscious of them, for example honors and disgraces,  and generally the successes
and failures of his children and  descendents."  Another quote, "Happiness, as
we have said, requires  completeness in virtue as well as a complete lifetime."
 <<