[Buddha-l] The Malaise of Modernity

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Mon Nov 17 20:28:04 MST 2008

Richard:
So it would seem a large part of the field of scientists agrees
with my claim that the only meaningful measure of happiness is a
person's report of feelings. This suggests that happiness is a
purely subjective state about which it is impossible for a person
to be mistaken. So long as no one out there is making the
dreadful mistake of saying something like "Devadatta THINKs he is
happy, but he is mistaken in this thought," I am happy.

This is meaningful only if you recognise that what a person
reports as his feelings might not necessarily be a truth
report...he REPORTS that he is happy, but really he feels like
shit.

Joanna K.