[Buddha-l] The Malaise of Modernity

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Mon Nov 17 16:57:00 MST 2008

Erik wrote:
"Don't forget that christendom introduced individualism, because
truth was something between you and God, so you didn't need
society anymore."

Hmm--Isn't the above a Protestant revolt idea? I was under the
(maybe erroneous) impression that for Roman Catholics truth was
between you, then the priest, and if you were lucky, God.  They
weren't even allowed to read the Bible for a long time.
Right? or wrong?
Joanna

================================

I happen to disagree with Richards reading of Taylor. The bottom
of the line is he wants to defend the modernist views of the
Catholic church against postmodernism and therefore he tries make
grounds for a revisited modernism. Don't forget that christendom
introduced indivdualism, because truth was something between you
and God, so you didn't need society anymore.
Taylor calls Michel Foucault a source of evil, which is
ridiculous. I find him a very mediocre philosopher who always
comes with shallow patches because he cannot come to the bottom
of the problems. He comes nowhere near the Frankfurters or
Baudrillard, Foucault, Bourdieu or Bauman. For me reading him was
a waste of time, but if you really want a tast you should read
'Sources of the self'.

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
Weblog: http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950