[Buddha-l] buddhism and brain studies

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Sun Nov 16 09:56:52 MST 2008

Jackhat1 at aol.com schreef:
> In a message dated 11/16/2008 4:40:28 A.M. Central Standard Time,
> jehms at xs4all.nl writes:
>
> ===
>
>> Aristotle carried as far as saying that one could be happy  or unhappy
>>
> while
>
>> dead. Happiness depended on a virtuous life.  One had to wait until life
>>
> was
>
>> over to determine if one lived a  virtuous life. This weighing of virtue
>>
> could
>
>> change after death  because of the effect some of one's actions  while
>>
> alive
>
>> might  change.
>>

> This is an interesting reading of  Aristotle, which I'm not familiar
> with. Can you mention a  source?
> ===
> On Happiness by Aristotle, Book 1. Here are some quotes. "We  are unwilling
> to call the living happy because changes may befall them and  because we
> believe that happiness haws permanence and is not amenable to  change under any
> circumstances." "For it seems that to some extent good and  evil really exist for
> a dead man, just as they may exist for a man who lives  without being
> conscious of them, for example honors and disgraces, and  generally the successes and
> failures of his children and descendents."   Another quote, "Happiness, as we
> have said, requires completeness in virtue as  well as a complete lifetime."
>
> Jack

Sorry Jack for being so persistent, but I fail to find references to a
book written by Aristotle called 'On happiness'. It would be in Greek
called 'Peri Eudemonia' I suppose? Where did you find it? All articles
and references to Aristotle's view on happiness I found tell me that he
saw it as excellent funcioning of the soul and that he's very uncertain
about the whereabouts of the soul after death.

--

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
Weblog: http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950