[Buddha-l] Pramana terms

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 19:36:30 MST 2008

Richard,

I am preparing some study-notes for my Sutta Discovery classed, that is, an
introductory essay on "Language and Discourses".

I notice two of the 6 chapters of Dignaga's Pramaa.na Samuccaya are
(with translations from Keown's Dictionary of Buddhism) as follows:

Svaartha anumaa.na (Inference for one's own benefit)
Paraartha anumaa.na (Inference for another's benefit)

Is it possible to render svaartha here as "self-meaning," that is, inherent
sense, ie without reference to other things; and
paraartha as "other-meaning," ie, a contextual sense.

Or, is the Dictionary of Buddhism's rendition the best one.

Piya Tan

--
The Minding Centre
Singapore 650644