[Buddha-l] buddhism and brain studies

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Sat Nov 15 13:46:03 MST 2008

In a message dated 11/15/2008 2:13:51 P.M. Central Standard Time,
jehms at xs4all.nl writes:

I've not read the book off course, but it seems to me that much  depends
on what you call happiness and what pleasure. Most ancient  philosophers
as well as the Buddha as far as I can see thought happiness to  be a
more or less continuous state of wellbeing which is not or very  little
dependend on circumstances.
===
Aristotle carried as far as saying that one could be happy or unhappy  while
dead. Happiness depended on a virtuous life. One had to wait until life  was
over to determine if one lived a virtuous life. This weighing of virtue  could
change after death because of the effect some of one's actions  while alive
might change.
==================
According to this definition the body is not able  to provide any
happiness at all, because the way we experience our body  depends very
much on circumstances. Doing workouts or having sex  entails
manipulating physical circumstances. In both cases moreover  some
brainfunctions are off line.
Buddhist practices aims at creating happiness beyond circumstances,
including circumstances involving body sensations.

jack

This doesn't rule out I think the possibility that some  physical
experiences like a jhana changes ones look on the world in such a  way
that it triggers  happiness.