[Buddha-l] buddhism and brain studies

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Thu Nov 13 12:50:16 MST 2008

a message dated 11/12/2008 2:22:05 P.M. Central Standard Time,
jhubbard at email.smith.edu writes:

.Why should I let somebody convince me that, contrary to my
(incontrovertible) feeling, I really am suffering most of the time?
Besides you in opposition to your own "experience" of things (reputable
the best source of knowledge, according to the Buddhist camp) *and*
putting you on that slippery slope to the monastic life, it just seems
like a lot of hard work for relatively little return, especially if
things are pretty good for you already<
--------
That's a good question. The Dalai Lama gave one answer as, if things are
good for you, keep doing what you are doing and forget Buddhism.

Two other answers. First, a daily meditation practice dealing with minor
problems such as the pain in your knee teaches you to deal with the bigger
problems we all have such as illness, death of a loved one, etc. Part of  dealing
with these minor problems involve recognizing them and delving into  them.
Second, most of us have instances of minor suffering everyday that  causes us a
problem but that we don't recognize as suffering. For instance,  someone cuts in
line in front of us at the grocery store; the phone rings  while we are
eating dinner; we have had a disagreement with a relative that  has been in the
background for years. It is like our having  a medical problem such as a low
grade tooth infection or some vitamin  deficiency. We don't recognize we have it
and also don't recognize what a  healthy life feels like.

Jack