[Buddha-l] buddhism and brain studies

J. Kingston Cowart jkcowart at self-change.com
Thu Nov 6 11:39:21 MST 2008

---------------------------------

At 06:00 PM 11/5/2008, Gary Gach wrote:

>anyone remember the experiment (mid1970s?) (ekg?):
>
>Hindu (TM) and Zen practitioners went into a meditative state, then were
>surprised by the sound of a bell.  The Hindu meditators' brain waves
>remained constant (Alpha? )))).  The brain-wave chart for
>the Zen meditators, showed their Alpha suddenly going into beta (?),
>registering the fact of the bell, and then dipping right back down into
>alpha.
>

>or was it that they kept ringing the bell and the TM'ers eventually became
>used to it while the zennies heard it as fresh each time ??

I concur with Katherine Masis that you are probably thinking of the
Palo Alto Neuropsychiatric Institute study which is said to have
reported that Zennists never habituated to an auditory stimulus and
Yogic meditators' responses were extinguished in a very short time
(Kasamatsu & Hirai, 1966).

Perhaps this 2006 article from researchers at UCSD, the Scripps
Research Institute, and the University of Zurich may be of some use:

http://p300.scripps.edu/papers/58.pdf

The abstract reads:

Neuroelectric and imaging studies of meditation are reviewed.
Electroencephalographic measures indicate
an overall slowing subsequent to meditation, with theta and alpha
activation related to proficiency
of practice. Sensory evoked potential assessment of concentrative
meditation yields amplitude and
latency changes for some components and practices. Cognitive
event-related potential evaluation of
meditation implies that practice changes attentional allocation.
Neuroimaging studies indicate increased
regional cerebral blood flow measures during meditation. Taken
together, meditation appears to reflect
changes in anterior cingulate cortex and dorsolateral prefrontal
areas. Neurophysiological meditative
state and trait effects are variable but are beginning to demonstrate
consistent outcomes for research and
clinical applications. Psychological and clinical effects of
meditation are summarized, integrated, and
discussed with respect to neuroimaging data.

Yours truly,

John

J. Kingston Cowart, M.S.
San Diego, California