[Buddha-l] Film: The Angry Monk http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2007/02/28/the-angry-monk/

Robert Leverant roblev at sonic.net
Thu Mar 20 13:20:08 MDT 2008

A portrait of Gendun Choephel (1903-1951), a legendary figure in Tibet, who
was opposed to both the religious elite and to forced Chinese assimilation.

Has any one seen this  film? Which portrays the shadow of T. Buddhism?, a
subject that I've been interested in.

The shadow seems to show its face during a succession; then there is
violence between the warring monks who have done years of practice.
Or mysterious deaths of a high lama, say an auto accident.

Teachers that I ask what about the unconscious don't give it much weight, if
at all. The most is the subconscious whose descriptive is reeds resting on
water which seeps up into the mind stream.  I would appreciate if you can
direct me to references/writings/teaching  to on  "the unconscious"  wo

Then there are barbarous acts worthy of the Spanish Inquisition overseen by
high lamas. See: Friendly Feudalism: The Tibet Myth by Michael Parenti
http://www.swans.com/library/art9/mparen01.html

We do idealize and Çhadgud Rimpoche wrote a book  in part to  demystify and
show Westerners what Tibet was really like. I think it is LORD OF THE DANCE.

Input and comments?

Thanks,

Robert

PS. I'm not interested much about  the USA, West where  there has been a
fair amount of Buddhist monk/teacher misconduct that has been aired: see
Katy Butler's heartfelt article ³The Shadow of Buddhist America,² in Common
Boundary, May-June (1990). And Ed Sanders, "The Great Naropa Poetry Wars." &
Geoffrey D. Falks Stripping the Gurus: Sex, Violence, Abuse and
Enlightenment http://www.strippingthegurus.com/index.html#stgtoc