[Buddha-l] Does robots have consciousness?

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Mar 19 09:09:00 MDT 2008

Lord Buddha protect us and save us from this!!!!

My favorite headline about this phenomenon so far is "Relentless
headless dog robot spells doom for human race."

As far as consciousness goes, though, keep in mind that the field of
Artificial Intelligence grew out of the earliest beginnings in computer
science over half a century ago. Today we now have computers that can
play chess, but none that can beat a human at bridge - and we now have a
robot that can simulate some of the activity of a reptilian brain. But
still nothing like actual "consciousness".

When a computer and/or robot possesses consciousness we will know it
because it will tells us so. Even more convincing would be a computer
that is capable of asking itself the question "am I conscious - and if
so, what does that mean.... and who the hell am I, anyway?"

Curt Steinmetz