[Buddha-l] Impermanence

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Mar 5 11:49:13 MST 2008

  On Behalf Of Robert Leverant
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 9:56 AM

I came across this quote from H.H. The Dalai Lama from a public talk in the
U.S. several years ago, perhaps one in Los Angeles or the Bay Area that I
had attended. The source of this quote I didn't write down. "All things are
transient," concluded His Holiness suddenly, and there came a great silence.
He rocked back and forth on his cushion. "Things change moment to moment,
things are impermanent. We worry over the past,  we anticipate the future,
and we barely perceive a shred of the passing moment. But all of us of every
faith tradition possess the possibility of pure light, is that not so? The
question of who we are is very much open."
====================
Doesn't it get more open the less we cogitate on past and future? And the
more time we spend meditating?
Problem is--once a householder always a householder?
Right now I'm embroiled in a resistance effort in my state to stop them from
allowing 2 nuclear enterprises to pollute this state even more than it is
already polluted. This requires attending to the future, so to speak, but
the motive or intention is to spare the population and the environment from
more radioactive consequences affecting especially pregnant women and
children. With the way things are escalating, little time for meditating on
impermanence.

Radioactive contamination is indeed impermanent, but on a vaster scale than
other samsaric aspects. But HHDL's thought is comforting.
Joanna K.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9:50 AM