[Buddha-l] Question answered

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Sat Jun 28 12:43:30 MDT 2008

> Chris Finn wrote:
>
>> What puzzled him was th attitude of western dharma students whom he
>> saw
>> as not being fully committed to one thing or the other. He thought
>> this
>> attitude would inevitably result in a person succeeding neither
>> spiritually nor materially.

What does it mean to be successful either materially or spiritually. A
miserable billionaire can hardly be said to be materially successful
if she doesn't feel successful. Nor can some starving monk feel
spiritually successful if he is filled with envy and rage. I don't
think we can look at another and tell if that person is successful at
something or another. I imagine that people who feel successful
probably are. The rest of us have to wait until we achieve total
surcease and try not to waste too much time thinking about ourselves
between now and then.

Restfully

Jim Peavler
jmp at peavler.org