[Buddha-l] Question for academic teachers of Buddhism

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Jun 27 08:14:05 MDT 2008

Perennial Favorites wrote:

> I think many Westerners (by "many" I mean me and my friends) initially
> entertain the idea of Buddhism because it doesn't seem like a
> religion.  The first time I meditated with the local Sangha, I was
> appalled by the sutra service, the chants, the bowing.  I've since
> come to value that part of it, but that first night I wanted to
> leave.  I thought the rituals felt fake and unnatural and that they
> had nothing to do with my understanding of Buddhist philosophy.

Been there - done that - still have the t-shirt.

I think it's interesting to look at where this phenomenon comes from:
that of people being attracted to Buddhism based on the idea that it
"doesn't seem like a religion". Some explanation for this idea is
certainly in order - considering the fact that Buddhism is not only
obviously very much a religion, but one of the oldest and largest
religions on earth.

Curt